best Rollators for seniors
I wrote this review out of deep concern for the elderly who are looking for the best rollators for seniors to buy.
Whether you have decided to get yourself a rollator or for a loved one,the process to go through in order to sort out the best rollators in the market or or just the best rollator brands can be a very tedious job.
If you are not even luck enough, it might take you days just to settle on which is the best rollator for the elderly.See my top recommended rollators for short people if the person you are buying for is short person between 4 feet 10 inches and 5 feet 7 inches tall.
Rollators are a slightly modified version of walkers. They are simply your standard walker with wheels, brakes,seat,backrest,armrest,shopping baskets and other luxuries that your standard walker doesn’t come with.
They are designed to provide greater support for the upper body.Rollators are useful for people who have difficulties walking, people who want more independence, freedom, comfort and less fatigue.
Rollators- also known as rolling walkers are designed for both indoors and outdoor uses.The best rollators for outdoor use,are actually the ones with bigger wheels.
Rolling walkers are a sort of a luxury.Using the traditional walker, will require you to lift it with every step.A walker require more strength,energy and coordination.
Types of Rollators
There are two kinds of rollators that you will find on the market place; the 3 wheel rollators and the 4 wheel rollators. The three wheel rolling walkers are easier for maneuvering while the 4 wheel rolling walkers are easier to push around and are more stable.
Here are some aspects to consider when deciding to buy a rollator.
Key considerations for the Best rollator for Elderly
- Weight capacity – make sure the rollator you are buying can support your weight and other items you might be carrying.
- Handle adjustment – the height of the handle should be adjustable to the height that makes you comfortable.
- The braking system – there are types of braking systems that comes with different rollator models.
- Seat – is the seat wide enough for you to fit in?. Ensure the distance between the handles is wide enough for you to fit in comfortably.
- Number of wheels – There are rollators with 3 wheels and rollators with 4 wheels.Check which one you might be comfortable using.
- Wheel size – smaller wheels like 6″ or smaller are great for indoors and the larger wheels are better for outdoors especially, if you are going to be using it on uneven floor, gravel,etc.
- Accessories – are you looking for more comfort?.Then the rolling walkers that have padded seat,backrest and armrest will be good for you.Otherwise, you can also find rollators with plastic seat. Almost all rollators come with a basket. You can also add your own accessories like water cup holder, walking stick,oxygen tank holder,etc.
- Buy with retail Company that have great customer service – e-Commerce stores like Walmart and Amazon are known for their great customer service.
Best Rollators on the Market Reviews
Rolling walkers with seats make life even more easier. My picks are based on overall users experiences and ratings on Amazon and other market places.
Drive Medical Four Wheel Rollator rtl10266 (Est$57.30 on Amazon)
my number one pick provides comfort and is cheap and affordable.It is currently one of the best rollators on the market and at the moment, it is the best seller in the rollators and walkers section.If you are seeking a safe and convenient way to improve your daily mobility- this rolling walker is ideal.
Feautures and specifications
- This rollator comes with a durable padded seat, removable ,hinged padded backrest that can be folded up or down
- It comes with a basket for storing your personal belongings
- Durable frame and 8″ non-marring wheels which makes it ideal for both indoors and outdoors usage
- weight capacity is 300 lbs.
- The product weighs 20Ibs
- It has a lifetime warranty
- Easy to operate deluxe loop brakes for easy control
- Handle Height: 31″ – 37″
- Unit Dimensions: 23.5″ (Width) x 25.5″ (Length)
- Seat Dimensions: 15″ (Width) x 21″ (Height) x 8.5″ (Depth)
- the lever allows you to adjust the handle height independently
This rollator is quite heavy.So, do make sure you can lift a weight of 20Ibs otherwise, I will advice you consider a lightweight rollator with seat. The aluminum frames are much lighter.
Drive Medical Aluminum Rollator Walker(Est. $75.30 on amazon)
Another quality product from Drive Medical that makes life easier for it users is this rollator.With over 1000 verified customers reviews,340 answered questions and rated 4.6/5 stars on Amazon, I couldn’t walk away from this product without adding it to my list of best rollators for seniors.
Here are some features and specifications for this product.
Features and Specifications
- Comes with new seamless padded seat,removable,hinged well padded backrest that can be folded up or down
- 7’5″ non-marring wheels which makes it great for indoors and outdoors.
- Zippered pouch under seat for added privacy and security of personal items
- It has an easy to use loop locks and brakes with serrated edges which provides firm grip.
- Because of the aluminum material used, it only weighs 14 Ibs
- Product weight capacity is 300 Ibs
- Ergonomic handles are easy to grip and are adjustable
About 73% of users rated it 5 stars and only 2% rated it 1 star. The majority of the customers are pleased with their purchase. See what others are saying about this product
Hugo Elite Rollator Walker with Seat ( Est $127.99 on Amazon)
Another best rollators for seniors with seat is the Elite rolling walker from Hugo Mobility. It gives you convenience, independence and portability.It has also received very good reviews from amazon and Walmart. Many people said they were happy with the product. lets see the key specs and feature of the Hugo Elite.
Specifications and Features
- Weight Capacity is 300 Ibs
- product weight 18.0 lbs.
- Seat Height From Ground: 20″ – 22″
- Handle height adjustments 2’6″ – 3’3″
- Wheel size 8″ making it one of the best rollators for outdoor use and great for indoors as well.
- Comes with an under seat storage bag ans additional saddle bag
- It comes with a padded seat, backrest to sit and rest
- Hugo’s Rollator has height adjustable handle bars for proper posture and ergonomic hand grips
- Dimension is 27.5″ x 24.0″ x 30.0″
- width between handle bars is 17.5″
Drive Medical Duet Dual Function Transport Wheelchair Walker Rollator ( Est $148.44 on Amazon)
This rollator also doubles as a transport wheelchair. It is an outstanding model, one single safe,convenient and mobility aid. As a rollator, it helps you to move around without lifting it like the traditional walker and as a transport chair, it is great when you need an escort around your home or the shopping mall.
All you have to do to change from rollator to a transport chair is lift the armrests, shift the backrest and lower the footrest into place and your caregiver can easily push you around.
Features and Specifications
- Combines the features of a rollator and transport chair in one unit.
- Comes with padded seat, backrest,locking flip-up armrests and flip-down footrest to be used in the transport chair mode and are easily removed and changed into a rollator
- Carry pouch for added privacy and security of personal items
- Folding frame with lock-out feature to ensure the rollator stays open while in use and ensures the it will stay folded during transport
- 8″ rolling wheels which makes it ideal for indoor and outdoor use
- Handles are adjustable in height between 31.5″-37″ with self-threading knob
- Actual unit weight is 20 lbs
- Unit dimensions are 25.5″(w) by 26″(L) by 37″(h)
- Seat width: 13.5″
- Seat to floor height: 21″
Important Note: This rollator should never be secured for transport. Leaning forward while using this Deut as a transport chair without proper assistance can cause tipping. Just take caution of this if you decide to go for this rollator.
The bottom line is this, this Duet is a very practical device. You just have to take caution when using it as a transport chair.It is seriously advised that you it as a transport chair if you have someone to assist you. Check out this product on Amazon
NOVA Medical Products Traveler 3-wheel walker ( Est $94.59 on Amazon )
This 3 wheel rolling walker is one of the best rollators for seniors without a seat. You are looking for rollator for maneuvering diverse spaces and terrain with foldable design and large 8″ wheels, then you should consider this unit.
It is available in three colors; red, black and blue. This three wheel rolling walker will get you going places with its unique design.
This traveler walker is lightweight and maneuverable 3-wheel walker for easier traveling. It will be your companion whether you are going to the grocery store or traveling on a cruise ship.
Features and Specifications
- This 3 -wheeled walker is lightweight, maneuverable and folds like a wheel walker
- Weight limit is 250 Ibs
- Product weight is 16 lbs
- locking hand brakes
- It comes with a tray, a basket, and a pouch
- Overall Height – Top to Bottom: 35.5”
- Overall Width – Side to Side: 26”
- Approximate patient height: 5’4″- 6’0″
The Traveler 3-wheel walker has received about 270 reviews on Amazon and has being rated 4.7/5 stars. Although some customers had minor problems with it, Overall, I will recommend it for anyone looking for a three wheel walker for easier maneuvering.
Medline Heavy Duty Bariatric Rollator ( Est $115.23 on Amazon)
This heavy duty rolling walker with seat is extra wide, reinforced to support higher weight capacities of up to 400 Ibs.
It has a wider padded seat and greater distance between handles for people that need or want an extra room. This rollator is 29″ wide and may not fit through standard door frames found in the home.
Features and Specifications
- Supports weight capacity of up to 400 Ibs
- It weighs 19 Ibs and has a lightweight aluminum frame
- It comes with a durable padded seat and backrest
- Larger than standard rollators measuring 29 W x 44.5 H x 29 D (may not fit through all door frames)
- Wider distance between handles for users needing extra room
- Loop-style brakes you push down to lock and pull up to release
- Padded backrest and padded seat offer users ability to rest
- Extra wide seat (17.5x14) with velcro pocket underneath
- 8″ wheels with reinforced forks and spokes for extra strength
- Folds easily for storage (may not fit in all cars)
- Handles can adjust from 31.5-37.5″ allowing users a more customized fit
- Measurements from floor to seat is 22″ (not adjustable)
This rolling walker is sturdy, strong and wide enough for those who are heavy duties and may not fit into the normal 300 Ibs and below. See what other people are saying about this product
Drive Medical Winnie Lite Supreme Aluminum Three Wheel Rollator ( Est $85.60 on Amazon)
The Drive Medical Winnie Lite was one of my top picks for the best rollators for seniors.It is made of aluminum and has a special loop lock,adjustable handles and brakes to ensure safety.
This 3 wheel rollator does not have a seat.All three wheel walkers don’t usual have seats.Only the four wheels have seats.
Features and Specifications
- Weight capacity is 300 Ibs
- Product weight is 15 Ibs
- Adjustable handle heights is between 31″ to 38″
- Rollator overall height is 32″
- Product width is 26″
- 7.5″ wheels
Although, I added this rollator to the list of best rollators for seniors, I will like to also mention that it might not be ideal for the elderly with serious mobility issues as the 3-wheel rolling walkers are not very stable like the 4- wheeled rollators.
Bottom line is, It is very light and easy to maneuver with.This rollator has being rated 4.5/5 stars on Amazon and has about 550 reviews. See What other people are saying about this product
My Final Thoughts
After carefully doing a lot of research and reading about the best rollators for seniors,These were my top picks.I do know that my opinion might be different from yours. There are other great rollators out there, due to time and other limited resources, it will be impossible to cover all.
If you do feel I have left out some of the best rollators for seniors; let me know your opinion as well as your experience with either these best rollator brands or your chosen brand.
Image credits: Amazon.com
Josephine Dassah is a Content Manager at SeniorHealthStores.com. She is an Electrical EngineeringGrad, Healthy lifestyleenthusiast and She is interested in things that bring the wellbeing of others. She believes through her writing, she can share valuable information and contribute to the quality of life of other people.
Categorised in: Mobility Aids